Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

TeAcHeR 4 hIrE!!!

For the past 10 years, I've been a teacher...a Preschool Teacher, Piano Teacher, and K-8 Vocal Music Teacher, of course not all at the same time. I have a degree in Elementary Ed. (K-9), but have never had the opportunity to teach in a regular ed. classroom. At the end of last year, after many sleepless nights, turmoil, and indecisiveness, I made my mind up to quit. It was one of the scariest and hardest decisions I've made in my life, but it was time. Time to be a stay-at-home mom before my boys flew the coop! (There were also some "other" issues going on that I can't really discuss here, but feel free to e-mail me and I'll give you an ear full!! hehehe!)
I made sure and had my future aalllll planned out before turning in my resignation. I'd substitute teach for at least 10 days out of the month and take on eight piano students. That would help supplement what we needed to survive financially. Then...reality hit like a flyswatter hitting a pesky fly in the middle of summer. I've subbed two days since school started and have only three piano students. So, now I am on to Plan "B", that is if there WERE a plan "B." ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A PLAN "B" FOR LIL OLE ME???? O yes...I should probably tell you:
  1. I need/want something part-time
  2. I am currently taking 9 hrs. towards my Master's in Tech. Education
  3. I live in a very small town of only 2000 people SO... resources are limited. However, there are "bigger" cities within a 20-40 mile range of us.
I am asking, actually BEGGING, to hear the world's ideas, suggestions, and comforting words (just kidding) on my situation. Please leave a comment.




3 comments:

Angela said...

You're getting your master's? Excellent! I wish I had some suggestions. I think your piano student number will increase as more people learn that you are giving lessons. There's a need for that here.

What do you think of home-based businesses like Uppercase Living (uppercaseliving.com)?

Heather @ The Striving Wife said...

Any tutoring you can do through the school? You can usually charge $20-$40 an hour, depending on where (and WHO) you're tutoring.

Any other school districts you can sub for?

Any other place you can advertise for piano students? (Look into geo-targeting ads online - if people searched for "piano teacher (your town, state)" your ads would show up. Costs are low, results might be worth it!)

Just my two cents worth... good luck!

Heidi said...

That tutoring idea isn't a bad one. I have thought about that also. I was an Elem. Ed. teacher before the ol kiddos.

Hey, I got to your page because of our "mommy blogger" group on Twitter Moms. HI!