Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Meditation

Please take time to check out her blog, Lori's Relfections. You will be blessed!

I HATE New Year's resolutions! Have you ever wondered how many people make New Year's resolutions and actually follow through with them... for the WHOLE year? I'd bet my polka-dotted, lime green socks that more times than not, people who make a resolution one day, end up breaking it the next. This year, thanks to Laurel, or should I say Lori, one of my closer on-line friends, I've been inspired to meditate upon the coming year and that which the Lord wants for my life. In doing so, here is what I've discovered.

Webster defines resolution as, to
find an answer to or make clear or understandable. I am not sure ANYTHING in my crazy, mixed-up life has EVER been made clear, without a doubt understandable! Humans are curious by nature, inquisitive, always asking questions, which is how we learn and grow. Yet is there an answer to every question? Who are we relying on for our answers? Could we be looking in the wrong places? Do we stumble upon our answers and "hope" for the best? Or are we lead with specific intentions and purpose? Where does our "faith" come into all of this? Maybe there is a better way...

Meditation-
to focus one's thoughts on, ponder over, and to plan or project in the mind. Let's break it down even further...

FOCUS>>> a point of concentration; to focus one's powers, efforts, or attention on

PONDER>>>> to consider or examine attentively or deliberately-on purpose

PROJECT>>>> a method devised for making or doing something or achieving an end


In short, meditation is a process of purposeful concentration, with the end in mind. WOW! What an amazing thought! Taking the time to think and focus on where I've been and where I want to be. I like the sound of that! Spiritually, we are instructed through out the Bible to:

"...grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
II Peter 3:18 (NIV)

Growing involves asking questions, yes, but then we are to meditate and focus on what we've learned and continue our purpose driven life from there. AMAZING! I'm sold!

I look forward to 2009 and living "intentionally." What about you? I challenge you to take time to "meditate" and decide where you life is heading in '09. I'll be doing the same. Join me tomorrow as I share my initial findings with you.

God bless!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Penny, thanks so much for contributing. I enjoyed reading this and how you broke it down. I to hate New Year's Resolutions, but a couple of years ago the Lord got ahold of my heart and told me to dream. I was scared to dream (and still struggle with it). It seemed everything I "dared" to dream did not go according to plan.

But God did not want me to give up dreaming, planing, having goals. He does not want us to just coast.

I am rambling. Enjoyed your post!