Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Want A New Attitude

God continues to amaze me. While tweeting, checking e-mails, and blogging this morning, I "somehow" ended up at Praise and Coffee. I'd never happened onto this site before today, yet it It was there that I read: "Our attitudes are a result of our thoughts toward our spouse. Our actions are quick to follow those thoughts and attitudes." I skimmed it again, "...attitudes...thoughts...spouse...actions... are quick to... thoughts... but.. I.. couldn't... me... MY attitude? Surely not, yet... if I asked my husband what he thought about my attitude, what would he say? Was I temperamental, domineering, manipulative, insensitive, neglectful, critical, and even selfish? What kind of attitude had I been conveying in our marriage toward my husband? Had I given him, us, our marriage, the time, love, and dedication I'd so willingly given to others? Was there resentment bottled up from months before?

I sat still, listening to the sound of my heart racing, my blood pounding. Seconds passed, minutes, then the following scriptures came to mind...

A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.
She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!
Proverbs 31:10-31
(The Message)

THIS is the woman I yearn to be! THIS is the attitude I want to have!
"Off with the old and in with the new!" (2 Corinthians 5:16-17)

How many of you find yourself so caught up in the daily hustle and bustle of "life" that what God intended to be holy, sacred, and second to Him, simply gets thrown out the window? ****Hand raised here!**** I encourage you to take time and read Proverbs 31:10-31 again. Keep in mind, God doesn't expect any woman to "roll over and play dead" or be a "doormat" but "God-like" in every way, everyday.

I ask, are you the kind of wife God has made you to be? What are the struggles you face? Feel free to comment. You can be sure you aren't alone and what better way for each of us to be encouraged?

Because of Him,

No comments: